Rocket Tuna Bites [Recipe]
PREP TIME: 10 min. SERVINGS: 1-2 | CALORIES: 375 | CATEGORY: Healthy Snack
Put the cookie down and step away from the counter slowwlyyy…
Now get ready for a quick and easy-to-make healthy snack that will satisfy your craving less the guilt. It’s filling, fun to eat and puts the right fuel in the “think tank” to get you through your evening or remainder of your day.
• 1 can of chunk light skipjack tuna in water (free school caught, species specific)
• 1-2 tbsp of tzatziki sauce
• minced onion
• shredded monterey jack and cheddar (often sold as nacho taco blend)
• flax, oat bran and whole wheat pita bread
• 1 tsp of hot sauce
Skipjack tuna has nearly 300% lower mercury levels than large fish albacore tuna yet it’s still high in omega-3 fatty acids.
1. Lightly toast the pita bread in the oven.
2. Open the can of tuna, drain the water and pour into a bowl. Mix in the minced onion and tzatziki sauce.
3. Lightly sprinkle the monterey jack/cheddar blend over the pita and allow one minute in the oven to melt.
4. Remova pita from the oven place the tuna/tzatziki mix evenly over the bread.
5. Add a dash of hot sauce to kick up the flavor a notch.
6. Cut into four sections and serve.
Healthy: It's In The Ingredients
Omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, B vitamins, DHA and healthy protein lowers cholesterol, maintains heart functioning, assists in skin protection and detoxifies the body from drugs, compounds and pesticides.
Also high in Omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and fiber – has heart-healthy effects and antioxidant qualities that suggest a protective effect against breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
Plain Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and fresh mint (or dill) – flushes out toxins, provides probiotic cultures, nourishes you with vitamins and supplies skin-friendy minerals.
Low in sodium while high in protein, calcium, vitamin D and potassium helps lower your risk for such health conditions as osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.